Recent Security Issues, aka “Heartbleed”
Two days ago a serious vulnerability (that’s been named “Heartbleed”) in the popular cryptographic software OpenSSL was made public. This weakness could potentially be exploited to steal information, such as login information, that normally would be protected by encryption. This software is used by roughly two thirds of the internet so a lot of services were or are at risk of being affected.
What did Mojang do?
As soon as we realized the severity of the exploit we decided to shut down all of our systems until a fix was available. This is why you were unable to log in yesterday. We then made sure that all of our services that use SSL no longer had this vulnerability before bringing them back online. We also updated all of our SSL certificates.
What should I do?
Change your Mojang/Minecraft account password
Since uses of the exploit leaves no traces, there’s no way for us to guarantee that your password hasn’t been compromised. Therefore, if you typed in your password into any of our games or websites during the last couple of days we strongly advice you to change it. Even if you haven’t logged in, it can still be a good idea the to change your password. One can never be too careful on the internet!
Also see our help article on choosing a good password.
Change your other passwords
Remember that since many other parts of the internet was affected as well you should also change your password for any other services that you have logged in to recently.
Anything else that I need to know?
Legacy launcher discontinuned
Due to this incident we’ve been forced to discontinue support for the legacy Minecraft launcher (the one used before version 1.6). If you’re using a Minecraft version older than 1.6 you need to download the current launcher (version 1.3.11) from minecraft.net. The current launcher lets you play older versions of Minecraft as well so you can still play on your pre-1.6 servers.
Since the legacy launcher no longer works we are also retiring the old login.minecraft.net service. If you have created your own Minecraft authentication that uses this scheme you will need to migrate it to the new authentication scheme. The new authentication scheme is described in this community wiki for private use.
Minecraft Gets New Developer, Sells to EA
In light of his deep love for cats, Jeb has confirmed that this baby ocelot - named “Missus Puddums”, cherished mascot at EA - will now be the Lead Developer for Minecraft, going forward, following the takeover of the game by gaming industry giant, Electronic Arts. This gives Puddums final say in all design decisions, though Jeb jokingly added that he made her “promise to not sell hats.” Jeb cites personal time and additional projects as reasons for his stepping down, but makes it a point to say that he will still be involved in Minecraft development.
Some of the proposed changes to Mincraft include:
- “Always on” DRM, to reduce account-spoofing
- Monthly DLC packages
- Graphics enhancement, to make Minecraft more realistic
Jeb added that it was a “scary move, but I feel strangely confident. I guess we’ve worked close enough for long enough for me to feel confident about it. EA is exactly what Minecraft needs right now. Puddums is a bit more DLC-friendly than I am, and we need to embrace DLC more.”
Puddums commented on the situation as well, stating that she wasn’t “sure when the idea came up the first time (from Jeb), but it has been a few months now. We all knew that Jeb was going to work on other things after 1.8, so it kind of seemed natural for me to ‘take over’. Besides, I can clean myself while I’m working, and efficient use of time is important to us.”
Puddums’ next step is to work on the cat API for Minecraft, a long-awaited feature for players and modders alike, which will be the first paid DLC for the game. She had the following to say on the API:
Missus Puddums said:
She went on to add that a release for the new DLC would likely be seen no sooner than August.
Jeb and Puddums have collaborated on Minecraft development for over a week, and Jeb has expressed the utmost confidence in his collaborator’s capabilities. You can contact Missus Puddums via Twitter.
Puddums was originally hired as EA’s office mascot, to see if real ocelots made good companions. Over time, Puddums became increasingly involved in the development of Minecraft, and is now responsible for many well-known (and expensive) DLC packs for other games. Having worked on features such as fish DLC, cat fur pattern DLC, and map structures (scratching posts, litterboxes, and nether dogs, all part of the Home Decor DLC), she now takes her vision of Minecraft’s future forward as the official head developer of the game. Congratulations, Missus Puddums!
Update 1.8 Snapshot 14w02a
- 3 new stone types: Diorite, Andesite, and Granite
- Major Enchanting & Repairing changes
- Mossy stone bricks recipe
- Updated Villager trading
- Doors stack
- Slime blocks
- Lots of other tweaks, changes, bug fixes and secret features
Adventure Map changes:
- Adventure Mode no longer lets you place/destroy blocks.
- But that can change!
- Added Entity Selectors! Use @e in certain commands to target entities. You can limit it with [type=Chicken] or [type=!Skeleton]
- Added a /blockdata command!
- Added ‘Lock’ (String) NBT tag on most containers.
- Added an optional entity parameter to /kill (try: /kill @e[type=!Player]
- Added optional arguments to /clear for max item count (use 0 to not actually delete anything) & NBT data
- Lots of other tweaks, changes, bug fixes and secret features!
How to play Snapshots:
1. Open your launcher and press the “New Profile” button.
2. Call it “snapshots” and check the box saying “Enable experimental development snapshots”
**To switch to the normal version, you can select it in the dropdown at the bottom left corner of the launcher.
THE 1.7 WORLD-CHANGING UPDATE IS LIVE!
- New world generation!
- Double the amount of biomes, with new trees/flowers/blocks.
- New “Amplified” world option.
- Less ocean, more awesome.
- New blocks:
- Two new types of wood.
- Stained glass! With both blocks and panes.
- Packed ice, red sand, podzol.
- Lots of new flowers, including double-tall versions of current plants.
- Portals can be bigger sizes!
- Added more type of fish.
- Redone the fishing mechanics. Can now catch junk and treasure too.
- Fishing rod enchantments!
- Put them in an item frame and hang them on your wall. They’re extra big!
- Lots of new colours for lots of blocks!
- Now with less lag!
- Achievement & Statistics overhaul:
- Now both world (or server) specific.
- In multiplayer, it’s announced to everybody when you get an achievement.
- You can move your mouse over this in the chat to see what it was!
- Some new achievements and statistic types were added.
- Zoomable achievements screen!
- Multiplayer enhancements:
- Servers can now put a 64×64 image called “server-icon.png” in their folder, that you will see on your server list.
- You can see who’s online before joining a server; move your mouse over the player count!
- Lots of hidden preparation for allowing name changes.
- Resource pack changes:
- You can now have multiple selected.
- They can completely re-do your sounds, adding new ones or changing current ones.
- Servers can now recommend a resource pack for you to use.
- Chat & command improvements:
- New commands to spawn mobs or blocks of any type.
- Command block minecart!
- Clickable links to achievements and items.
- Click on somebody’s name in the chat to message them!
- Technical work:
- Completely rewrote how the network (multiplayer) works.
- Completely rewrote the sound manager.
- New graphics options.
- Basic shader support testing.
HOW TO UPDATE:
Update files in the Minecraft launcher as normal
Server jar: Click here
On Windows: (right click > open with > java)
1.6 PRE-RELEASE ARRIVES
What new goodies can we expect from 1.6?
- Added Horses
- Added Donkeys, Mules
- Added Horse Armor
- Added Leads
- Added Carpets
- Added Hardened Clay, Stained Clay
- Added Block of Coal
- Added Name Tags (item)
- Added Hay Bales
- Texture packs are now “resource packs” that also can hold sound etc
- Food meter is now drained when healed by full food meter
- Removed Herobrine
- Added Grum
The full update of 1.6 will go live on July 1st, 2013. You can get the latest update in the Minecraft Launcher. If you haven’t gotten it yet, check below for the version that is right for your OS!
Windows: Click here
Mac/OSX: Click here
Linux/Other: Click here
Get involved in the bug-fixing process! Click here
A WILD SNAPSHOT 13w16a APPEARS!
- Added horses, based on the work of John Olarte (DrZhark), of Mo’ Creatures fame
- Added hay bales
- Added leashes
- Added carpets
- The “Respiration” enchantment now also helps seeing underwater
New Minecraft Launcher in the works!
Dinnerbone and Grum have been hard at work creating a NEW Minecraft launcher, with some pretty sweet features! It will allow you to get the snapshot then return to 1.5.1, simply by starting the old launcher and playing as normal. That’s all there is to it!
Want to send feedback on the new launcher? Be sure to tweet @Dinnerbone, @Grum, or @jeb_ with your suggestions, or make a post right here!
The new Launcher links seem to be problematic. Once they are stable, I will be sure to share them!
Mojang Cribs! Why can’t every workplace be like this?
The second episode to the back to back Let’s Creep return. Enjoy!